Why Dhaka Residents Find Effective Treatment for Personality Disorders at The Cabin Dhaka
People with personality disorders do not often seek treatment on their own. This is because personality disorders (PD) are a set of fixed beliefs and behaviours that the person with PD may see as completely appropriate and reasonable, while loved ones and those around the person find them difficult to tolerate.
There are many types of personality disorders, and most are gender dominant, but the most common we see for treatment are: borderline personality, histrionic personality, paranoid personality, obsessive-compulsive personality and dependent personality.
People with PD often seek therapy at the request of a partner, family member or employer. Many clinicians feel that PD is not an actual mental illness, but an extreme type of personality that results in thinking and behaviour being well outside the general norm of others. While some mental health providers do not take PD clients, and claim PD cannot be treated, The Cabin has vast experience with these conditions and has found that a customised, focused and rigid therapy programme can often result in significant improvements.
The Cabin’s treatment programme for personality disorders involves:
- Identifying target, undesirable and dysfunctional behaviours and thoughts.
- Recognising the harm they cause in the client and others.
- Determining alternative, functional and healthier behaviours and thoughts.
- Designing specific strategies to replace and reinforce new thinking and action.
- Integrating these skills into daily life so as to minimise interference in social, career and personal success.
At The Cabin we recommend a therapy schedule of at least one session a week for two to three months in order to truly treat a personality disorder.